Getting Settled

We're still in the midst of orientation, but we've ventured out into Delhi more and I'm getting really excited for everything I get to do while I'm here. We meet our homestays tomorrow, and it sounds like we'll be living quite nicely — I'll be sharing a room with another American student named Rachael (we get along well and she's not weird, so that's good!) and we'll have our own bathroom. The mom works for BBC (so perfect for me!) and the dad is an English professor at a local federal university. They're Muslim and have a 6-month-old baby girl, which everyone keeps telling me will be annoying because she'll cry a lot, but I'm mostly really excited to be around a baby!

I bought my first salwar kameez set the other day! The kameez or kurta is the long tunic-type shirt, and the pants are called salwars. You can also buy churidar pants, which are like leggings that are really long (they're actually hilarious, the waistband reaches my forehead if I hold them up in front of me) and scrunch at the bottom, but I chose not to because I thought they would be hotter and possibly less flattering on me.

Update (because I started writing this post earlier and now I'm coming back to it): I now have several full sets of Indian clothes! I'm sure I will take tons of pictures later, but for now just picture me in really flowy orange pants, a white and black patterned tunic with rainbow beads and embroidery, and an orange scarf. For the other sets, we went to an area called Lajpat Nagar, which had a market (bargaining encouraged) and a bunch of little shops and stalls down side alleys. We took an auto rickshaw, the metro, and then a cycle rickshaw, which was quite the experience! I will write something else tonight about Delhi traffic, because it definitely warrants at least one post of its own!

I think my stomach is finally a little more settled — for a while it was feeling less than stellar/generally a little funny, but now it's ठीक है  (Hindi for "ok").

I will type up some more posts about specific aspects of my experience (transportation, my teachers/pseudo-parents, the food, etc.) tonight and try to post those as well!

0 comments:

Post a Comment